A key element of the Marikana Renewal process, and of Letsema, is continuous stakeholder engagement.
To date, engagement led by the Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, Thabo Makgoba, has been conducted with the following stakeholders:
- Sixteen-Eight Memorial Trust
- Families and chiefs in labour-sending areas (Eastern Cape and Lesotho)
- Bapo Ba Mogale
- Community-based church and religious leaders
- Community engagement forum stakeholders such as the Rustenburg and Madibeng municipal office bearers and community-based councillors
- Non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
Pitso renewal series
As part of the Letsema process, a series of Pitsos, or multi-stakeholder dialogues, will be held annually. The Pitso dialogues are designed to encourage information sharing relating to the following themes: healing; socio-economic development and land management.
The dialogues aim to foster accountability and shared responsibility among stakeholders, rooted in the Letsema process’s six stages of engagement.
The first two-day Pitso dialogue was held on 30 and 31 May 2022.